Chocolate Nest Cupcakes
( SERVES 12 )
Easter isn't just about foil-wrapped chocolate eggs. Be creative and carry the theme through an array of chocolate treats. With a few clever decorating ideas, you can turn simple sweets into stunning crowd-pleasers.
|125 g||Butter, softened|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|¼ cup||Cocoa powder, sifted|
|1 cup||Plain flour, sifted|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|1 to decorate||Candy coated chocolate sweets, eggs and white fairy floss to make birds' nests|
- Preheat oven to 160 degC.
- To make the chocolate icing, place the cream and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 10-12 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and milk and beat until combined.
- Spoon into 12 x 1/2- cup-capacity muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread the cupcakes with the icing and top each with a fairy floss nest and eggs.
Tip: To make the fairy floss nests, gently twirl a strand of fairy floss into a ring and place on the icing. Arrange eggs in the nest.