Photo by Tamara West
Just thinking about a sweet roast leg of lamb with a hint of lemon, fresh herbs and garlic is enough to get my taste buds all worked up. Having the lamb leg butterflied (ask your butcher to do this for you) means it cooks quicker and makes it a lot easier to carve and serve. The pizza oven needs to be less than 220C when cooking the lamb, otherwise it will burn and dry the lamb out. It can also be cooked on your barbecue or roasted in the oven. You can also cook a butterflied chicken or a whole fish wrapped in tin foil the same way.
|1||Butterflied boneless leg of lamb|
|2 tsp||Flaky Marlborough sea salt|
|2 tsp||Garlic, grated|
|1||Lemon, zest of|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh chopped oregano|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- Season the lamb on both sides with the salt. Mix the garlic, zest and oregano with the oil and pour over the lamb.
- Massage the marinade into both sides of the lamb then place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Heat pizza oven, barbecue or oven to 190C.
- Place the lamb on a rack over a roasting tray and cook for 20-25 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Allow to rest in a warm place for 15 minutes before carving.
- For the salsa, just mix together all ingredients together.
- Serve with roast asparagus and fresh tomato salsa.