Sweet Orange Angel Food Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Whip the egg whites until foamy, adding the cream of tartar and salt as soon as the whites start to rise.
- Continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the whisk still going, add 2/3 of the sugar in a thin stream and continue to whip until satiny and stiff.
- Sift the remaining sugar and the already sifted flour together three times to aerate.
- Then, 1/3 at a time, quickly fold them into the egg whites. Fold in the zest and vanilla.
- Gently spoon the mixture into an ungreased 18cm angel food or round cake tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then carefully slide a knife around the edge, between the tin and the cake, to remove it from the tin.
- Dust with icing sugar.