Summer berry panettone pudding
This is Bevan’s all time favourite dessert over Christmas. He says it’s pretty good the day after for breakfast or even a late night snack eaten straight from the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 150C. Cut panettone in half then cut into slices, 10mm to 15mm thick. Discard the ends and lightly grill or toast. Be careful, as it browns very quickly.
- Scatter half of the berries on the bottom of a 20cm x 30cm (at least 5cm deep) roasting dish. Layer panettone slices evenly on top before scattering with remaining berries.
- Place scraped seeds, vanilla bean pod and cream in a heavy-based pot and bring gently to the boil over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together until combined. Once cream has come to the boil, remove from heat and whisk into the eggs and sugar.
- Remove vanilla pods and pour over the panettone and berries.
- Place baking dish in a large roasting tin. Pour 600ml boiling water into the roasting tin and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set.
- Serve at room temperature with zabaglione or vanilla bean icecream.