Taramasalata is usually made with cured fish roe. I have used fresh here, which is just as delicious.
- In a bowl, soak bread in milk.
- Lightly dredge roes in seasoned flour.
- Heat butter in a fry pan, then gently cook the roes, turning so they colour evenly.
- Add the zest of a lemon, and cook until the roes are firm.
- Deglaze the pan with the juice of the lemon and remove all to a bowl. Cool.
- Add 3 Tbsp of finely minced onion, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Squeeze the milk out of the bread, discard milk and add bread to bowl.
- Remove all to food processor and blend with olive oil to a smooth paste.
- Season with lemon juice and chill to serve.