Chicken liver pate
You can seal your pate with clarified butter. To do this, melt unsalted butter in a pot — the milk solids will separate from the butter fat. Pour the clear butter fat on top of the pate to “seal” the ramekins, leaving the milk solids in the pot.
- Combine onion, ginger and the fresh thyme.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and gently cook the onion mix until soft. Remove to a bowl.
- Clean chicken livers and very lightly dredge in seasoned flour. Reheat pan with 2 Tbsp of bacon fat, or oil, and fry the livers until firm to the touch. They should still be pink inside. Remove the livers to the bowl, deglaze the hot pan with 5 Tbsp of bourbon or gin, the zest of 1 orange and the juice of 2. Add to the bowl and mix together.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor with 50g of softened butter until smooth. Season to taste.
- Spread into individual ramekins and garnish with thyme sprigs. Chill well before serving.