Eggplant and mushroom pate
Photo by Tamara West
This vegetarian pate is perfect for serving with crackers, crostini or fresh bread for nibbles.
|1 cup||Shiitake mushrooms, or porcini mushrooms, dried|
|1 splash||Olive oil|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|2 tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|1 handful||Coriander, chopped|
|1 handful||Parsley, chopped|
|1 serving||Olive oil|
- Soak shitake, or porcini mushrooms, in water until soft. Squeeze all liquid from mushrooms and chop into a bowl.
- Brush eggplants with olive oil and roast in a hot oven until soft and easily pierced with a knife. Remove and cool.
- Cut in half, scoop out flesh, and chop into a bowl. Add salt.
- Crush garlic and finely chop spring onions.
- Combine with mushrooms. Add grated fresh ginger, ground cumin, and ground coriander.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and cook mixture until it is soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped eggplant, the zest and juice of the lemon and some freshly ground black pepper, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add a handful of chopped fresh parsley and coriander and tahini. Whizz all in a food processor with enough olive oil to form a soft pate.
- Season and chill well before serving with an extra drizzle of olive oil.