Tuscan stovetop chicken
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper, chicken salt|
|1||Free-range organic chicken|
|2||Red onions, sliced|
|2||Red peppers, core and seedes removed, flesh sliced|
|3||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|1 cup||Dry white wine|
|2 cans||Crushed tomatoes|
|400 g||Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained|
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh oregano, chopped|
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into 8 portions and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large heatproof casserole dish. Add oil and brown chicken pieces all over then remove to one side.
- Add onion and red peppers and cook for 5 minutes, tossing regularly. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add wine to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes then add tomatoes and return chicken pieces to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover the pan and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and cook for 10 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning of sauce if necessary. Serve topped with fried crumb-and-oregano mixture.
- To make fried crumbs, place breadcrumbs and second measure of oil in a small frying pan.
- Fry crumbs over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring until the crumbs turn golden brown.
- Remove to a bowl. Combine with oregano.