Coffee, chocolate and hazelnut sponge cake
Sponge needs a gentle touch, but the results are worthwhile.
|160 g||Caster sugar|
|100 g||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ Tbsp||Dutch cocoa powder|
|60 g||Hazelnuts, finely ground|
|½ tsp||Vanilla extract|
|60 g||Butter, melted|
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake tin. Dust with flour, knocking out the excess.
2. Using an electric mixer - whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale.
3. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa then stir through the hazelnuts and coffee.
4. Gently fold through the egg mixture. Three quarters of the way through, add the vanilla and melted butter. Continue to fold very gently.
5. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until set. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and cooling on a wire rack.
6. Slice the sponge in half and spread the base with the hazelnut paste. Spread with whipped cream and then carefully place on the top layer, dusting generously with cocoa powder.