Seared scallops with creamed fresh corn and ratatouille salsa
I like this combination a lot. It’s a fresh summer dish where all the components seem to marry together beautifully. It’s a great way to stretch the “scallies” if they’re a bit lean on the ground.
|½ cup||Shallots, roughly chopped|
|⅓ cup||White wine|
|3 cups||Corn kernels, freshly cooked and removed from the cob|
|60||Scallops, at room temperature|
|1 splash||Cooking oil|
- Make the ratatouille, see recipe below.
- In a suitable sized saucepan add the butter and shallots. Place on a low heat and sweat for 20 minutes (without colouring) stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine, turn down the heat a little and reduce for 5 minutes before adding the cream and corn. Cook for another 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- With a wand blender or in a food processor, pulse a couple of times to break up some of the corn kernels. You want the creamed corn to still have a slightly chunky texture.
- Season with sea salt and pepper to taste, then refrigerate until required.
- When ready to serve, heat up the creamed corn gently in a saucepan over a low heat or slowly in a microwave.
- For the scallops, place a frying pan over high heat. Season and oil the scallops before batch cooking them in your hot pan.
- Cook no more than 30 seconds per side, and when you turn them add a couple of knobs of butter, just before removing from the pan. Keep warm while you finish the rest.
- Spoon a little creamed corn in the centre of each plate then divide out 10 scallops per serve.
- Top with a few spoonfuls of the ratatouille salsa, add a pinch of sea salt and a grind of fresh black pepper. Serve now.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat. Add a little olive oil and fry the onion and garlic until golden.
- Remove and pour into a bowl. Do the same with the courgette and then follow with the eggplant.
- Add the capsicum and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Toss in the fresh basil, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and leave at room temperature for a few hours, or if serving later than that refrigerate until required.