Mexican rice, corn and fish salad with coriander and lime
( SERVES 4 )
Brown rice gives this salad a wonderful texture - no stickiness in this one!
- Place 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil into a medium-sized heavy-based saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the shallot and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated with oil, then add the tinned tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or check on the rice packet for specific cooking times - some varieties of brown rice take 45 minutes to cook.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and fluff the rice up with a fork. Replace the lid and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or ridged grill pan. Rub the corn cobs with the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on the hot grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and place in a large bowl. Add the fresh tomatoes, red onion, chilli, chopped herbs, olive oil, lime juice and cumin. Toss gently to combine.
- Add the cooked rice, toss and season to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
- To serve, heat a dash of oil in a hot large frying pan, place in the fish fillets and cook for about 3-4 minutes, turning once.
- Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fillets. Allow the fish fillets to cool a little, then break into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the rice from the refrigerator. Place half of the fish pieces in the bottom of a shallow serving bowl and lay the rice over the top.
- Place the remaining fish pieces on the top. Use a fork to bring some of the rice up over the fish pieces.