Fried chicken, soft rolls and coleslaw
( SERVES 4 )
Fast, fresh and fun, it's "dude food".
|1 clove||Garlic, crushed|
|4||Boneless chicken thighs|
|¼||Cabbage, (if small, or 1/8 if large), finely shredded|
|1||Carrot, peeled and cut into thin shreds|
|1 Tbsp||Dill, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Mayonnaise, whole egg is best|
|3 Tbsp||Rice flour|
|3 Tbsp||Plain flour|
|1 serving||Vegetable oil, or rice bran oil, for cooking|
- Place each chicken thigh flat, with smooth side down, on a clean board. One-third of each thigh will be fatter than the remainder, cut to separate it from the thinner part. Butterfly the fatter part and open it out so all the meat is of similar thickness. Rub crushed garlic all over chicken thigh meat. Set aside while you continue preparing dinner.
- Place cabbage, carrot and dill in a large salad bowl.
- Beat mayo and lemon juice together with some salt to taste. Pour this dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss well to combine. Keep coleslaw in fridge until serving.
- Place a wrung-out, damp paper kitchen towel on top of the bread rolls. Wrap in foil and seal package.
- Warm wrapped rolls in 170C oven for 5-8 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile heat a thin layer of oil to medium-hot in a heavy, wide frying pan.
- Sift both flours on to a dinner plate and season lightly with salt. Lightly dust both sides of each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Fry in the hot oil for about 3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve warmed rolls, fried chicken and coleslaw separately, so that people can make their own filled rolls.