Rhubarb and ginger jam
This is a great way to get your rhubarb patch under control and use up any thinner stems.
- Place rhubarb in a bowl and cover with sugar, lemon zest and juice. Leave to stand overnight.
- Place in a large heavy-based stainless steel pot, add ginger and stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and continue to boil rapidly for 10 minutes or until the jam sets.
- Remove the fresh ginger and pour the hot jam into clean, sterilised jars.
- Screw on the sterilised jar lids and store in a cool, dark place.
- Setting jam: To tell if jam is set, put a teaspoonful on a saucer and run your finger through it. If the track it makes closes up, it needs more cooking time, if it remains, it is set.