Rhubarb and frangipane tart
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Fiona Anderson
This exquisite tart is best served with vanilla bean icecream or a little whipped cream.
|250 g||Unsalted butter|
|250 g||Caster sugar|
|250 g||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|50 g||Plain flour|
|8 stalks||Rhubarb, cut into 5cm pieces|
|50 g||Caster sugar, extra|
|1||Sweet shortcrust pastry, See below for recipe|
Sweet shortcut pastry
- Heat oven to 170 degC.
- Place butter, sugar, ground almonds, eggs, vanilla and flour in a mixing bowl and beat briefly until well combined.
- Spread this frangipane mixture over your baked pastry base with a spatula.
- Place the rhubarb on top of the frangipane in lines and sprinkle the extra caster sugar over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from baking tin.
- Serve with vanilla bean icecream or a little whipped cream.
Sweet shortcrust pastry
- Place butter, sugar, yolks and flour in a mixing bowl and mix together with just enough cold water to bring the pastry together.
- Knead lightly, roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Unwrap pastry, slice thinly and press into a 28cm fluted tart mould with a baking paperlined removable base.
- Ensure pastry is evenly and thinly spread, about 2mm thick. Remove excess pastry from around edges.
- Refrigerate pastry base for 10 minutes before lining witha sheet of baking paper.
- Fill with baking beans and blindbake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before removing beans.