Kumara, carrot and feta fritters
Photo by Tamara West
These crispy, golden vegetable fritters are very moreish so you may want to double the recipe.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line a shallow baking dish with baking paper.
- If necessary squeeze the grated kumara and carrot to extract excess moisture and place in a large bowl with the spring onion and dill or parsley.
- Whisk the egg, cornflour, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add to the vegetables and stir through the crumbly feta.
- Heat sufficient oil to cover the bottom of a large frying pan. Divide the mixture evenly into 8 and press firmly (don’t go lightly) to make a fritter about 1cm thick.
- Cook 4 at a time in the hot oil, using a spatula to press down on the fritters as they cook.
- Turn once they are golden brown and cook on the other side — only until brown.
- Transfer the fritters to the prepared baking dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm with salad greens, chutney and a dollop of sour cream.
Tip: Add 1 tsp toasted cumin seeds to the grated vegetables (toast cumin seeds in a hot, dry frying pan until you can smell their aroma). Try serving these fritters with your favourite smoked fish or poached eggs.