Soup's still up for summer with this cool offering from Viva's Amanda Laird.
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|1||Red onion, small, finely diced|
|1 tsp||Dried chilli flakes|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|500 g||Large ripe tomatoes|
|½||Telegraph cucumber, or two small lebanese cucumbers|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander, leaves chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|½ Tbsp||Fresh oregano, or use 1 tsp dried|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||White port|
|1 to serve||Crusty bread|
1. Combine the onion, garlic, sugar and chilli in a bowl, then sprinkle with a teaspoon of salt, just cover with cold water and leave for at least an hour.
2. Score the tomatoes, then cove rwith boiling water. Leave for 30 minutes then remove from the water and peel the skin off with a small sharp knife and discard. Dice the tomatoes.
3. Dice the cucumbers, capsicum and celery. Combine with the tomatoes in a large bowl. Add 2 tsp salt, a generous grind of black pepper and 2 cups of water.
4. Drain the onion mixture and add to the tomatoes then refrigerate for an hour.
5. Stir in the herbs, olive oil, vinegar and port. Check for seasoning and serve with the bread.