Photo by Babiche Martens
Soup's still up for summer with this cool offering from Viva's Amanda Laird.
|2 cloves||Garlic, finely sliced|
|1||Red onion, small, finely diced|
|1 tsp||Dried chilli flakes|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|500 g||Large ripe tomatoes|
|½||Telegraph cucumber, or two small lebanese cucumbers|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander, leaves chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|½ Tbsp||Fresh oregano, or use 1 tsp dried|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Red wine vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||White port|
|1 to serve||Crusty bread|
- Combine the onion, garlic, sugar and chilli in a bowl, then sprinkle with 1 tsp of salt, just cover with cold water and leave for at least an hour.
- Score the tomatoes, then cover with boiling water. Leave for 30 minutes then remove from the water and peel the skin off with a small sharp knife and discard. Dice the tomatoes.
- Dice the cucumbers, capsicum and celery. Combine with the tomatoes in a large bowl. Add 2 tsp salt, a generous grind of black pepper and 2 cups of water.
- Drain the onion mixture and add to the tomatoes then refrigerate for an hour.
- Stir in the herbs, olive oil, vinegar and port. Check for seasoning and serve with the bread.