Spring breakfast spaghetti
( SERVES 4 )
This is a recipe from my cookbook Nadia’s Kitchen. Pasta makes a terrific sustaining breakfast or brunch. I called this breakfast spaghetti as it has the main suspects you’d expect to have for weekend brekkie — bacon, eggs and toast.
- Cook spaghetti in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- With 1-2 minutes cooking time left, add asparagus to the boiling water to cook with the pasta. Drain spaghetti and asparagus.
- Toss with the lemon juice and two Tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil.
- Place bread, parsley and lemon zest in a food processor and blitz to a rough crumb.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and add bacon.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, then add the crumb and pine nuts and fry a further few minutes until the breadcrumbs and pine nuts are lightly toasted. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil and carefully crack in eggs.
- Reduce to a simmer and poach eggs for 1-2 minutes until whites are just set, but yolk is still runny.
- Divide spaghetti and asparagus between bowls, top with a poached egg and sprinkle over the bacon crumb mixture. Serve warm for breakfast, lunch or dinner.