Chicken, chorizo and chickpeas
It's all here: protein, pulses and - thanks to the chorizo - a heap of flavour.
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and brown the chicken legs on both sides.
- Transfer to an oven-proof casserole dish. Brown the chorizo slices on both sides and add to the chicken.
- Lower the heat, add the remaining olive oil, onion and garlic and cook gently until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin seeds and smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock and add the chickpeas. Bring to the boil, then pour over the chicken and chorizo sausage.
- Cover and place in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until the chicken legs are cooked.
- Serve with plenty of rice to soak up all the sauce and a store-bought yoghurt and cucumber dip.
- Add a few torn mint leaves for extra flavour.
- If you are handy with sharp kitchen scissors or a knife, use a whole chicken and cut into 6 pieces.
- This dish can be cooked in the frying pan on top of the stove. Keep frying pan covered and cook at a very gentle simmer.
- As capsicums become more plentiful, core, deseed and slice one red capsicum and add in with the tomatoes for extra sweetness.