Little chocolate lamingtons
Photo by Babiche Martens
Serve in bite-sized portions and arrange them prettily on the most beautiful platters you can find. Makes approximately 24
|120 g||Butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tin|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1¼ cups||Self raising flour|
|250 g||Shredded coconut, or coconut flakes|
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Grease a 23cm cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale.
- Add one egg, beat then repeat.
- Fold in the flour alternating with the milk, until smooth.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a cooling rack.
- When cold wrap in plastic wrap and leave for up to 1 hour or as long as 12, to enable easier cutting.
- Combine the icing ingredients with 100ml of boiling water. Stir until smooth.
- Cut the cake into 3cm squares. Spread the coconut on a tray. Dip each square of cake briefly into the icing then the coconut, coating all sides.