Spring filo baskets
Photo by Photography and styling by Tamara West
You can cram these delightful little filo baskets with all manner of things. However asparagus, avocado and smoked salmon sings of light, healthy and tasty spring tucker, that's sure to please.
|30 g||Butter, melted|
|4 sheets||Filo pastry|
|1 bunch||Asparagus, trimmed, and roughly chopped, or 150g packet of snow peas|
|1||Avocado, firm and ripe|
|4 Tbsp||Creme fraiche|
|2 handfuls||Baby rocket, cos lettuce, mesclun or other greens|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts, toasted|
|8 slices||Smoked salmon, more to taste|
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry on the bench and brush with melted butter.
- Lay another filo sheet on top and repeat with remaining filo sheets, layering with melted butter in between sheets.
- Cut into four rectangles. Push filo rectangles into medium sized ramekins or large muffin pans to form a “basket” shape.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Cook asparagus or snow peas in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water
- Cut avocado in half—mash half the avocado with the creme fraiche and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the other avocado half into eight thin wedges.
- To assemble, place a filo basket on each plate.
- Divide mashed avocado mixture between filo baskets and top with baby greens and asparagus or snowpeas.
- Arrange slices of smoked salmon on top and sprinkle over pine nuts.
- Mix all herb oil ingredients together and drizzle a little on top.