Coconut french toast with fried bananas
( SERVES 4 )
A simple way to make a vanilla extract is to split 3 vanilla beans, put them in a glass bottle or jar and cover them with vodka. Store in a cool place for two months before using. This will last years and may be topped up with vodka. Use this extract as you would vanilla essence or as the base for vanilla-flavoured cocktails.
- Combine the above in a bowl. Dip 2 slices of bread per person into the mix.
- Fry the soaked bread in vegetable oil and butter to colour, hold in a warm oven.
- When you have finished cooking the French Toast, add a bit more butter to the pan, cook off banana slices and dust them with a bit more cinnamon and/or vanilla sugar.
- Drain on paper towels then plate up with the warm coconut French Toast.
- Sprinkle with some icing sugar or, for complete indulgence, drizzle with Heilala Vanilla Syrup.