Asparagus, scallops and soft-boiled egg with creamy lemon dressing
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Photography and styling by Tamara West
This is an elegant spring entree that can be as indulgent as the wallet allows with the number of scallops served. The herb crumbs add a lovely crispy texture. You could go all out and even add some crispy fried bacon if you like.
Creamy lemon dressing
|4 Tbsp||Egg mayonnaise, good quality, or use Japanese kewpie mayonnaise|
|3 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
Asparagus, scallops, egg and herb crumbs
- To make the dressing, whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar and salt together.
- Place eggs in a small pot with water and bring to the boil. As soon as water starts boiling, time for 2 min 15 seconds (for soft boiled eggs with runny yolks). Drain and run eggs under cold water. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan. Mix breadcrumbs, lemon zest and herbs together and fry for a couple of minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and mix with a good pinch of salt (use flaky sea salt if you have it).
- Lightly cook asparagus in boiling water or in the microwave for just 1-2 minutes, then drain.
- Heat butter in a frying pan on high heat and add scallops. Cook scallops for 45 seconds on each side, seasoning with salt and pepper while in the pan.
- Divide asparagus and scallops between plates. Carefully cut eggs in half and arrange one half on each plate.Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle over the crispy crumb.
- Dress plates with creamy lemon dressing just before serving.