Green eggs and ham
( SERVES 6 )
The Dr Seuss special. It’s a beauty to make for the kids and I know I’m not fooling anyone as it is a hollandaise, but at least you’re getting a bit of green into them.
|2 Tbsp||White vinegar|
|1 splash||Oil, to cook|
|12 slices||Ham, good quality|
- Heat the oven to 100C.
- Place a saucepan of salted water on the heat and bring to the boil, then add the vinegar.
- Toast the english muffins and keep warm in the oven.
- Heat a skillet to medium to high heat. Add the oil, and fry the ham until golden brown and crispy around the edges. Keep warm in the oven.
- Using the same skillet you cooked the ham in, wilt the spinach. Add a tablespoon of water to aid the process.
- Cook until the leaves just become soft. Hold in the pan, season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Turn the pan water down to a gentle simmer. Poach your eggs to desired doneness.
- Place the english muffins on warm plates. Top with ham, wilted spinach, poached eggs and finally coat everything with a liberal helping of hollandaise.
- Strong black coffee and you’re good to go.
- Pour the egg yolks, lemon juice and sugar into a medium sized jug.
- Blitz for a few seconds with a wand blender, then in a slow steady stream add the warm melted butter until all incorporated creating a rich thick hollandaise.
- Now add the pesto and spinach, continuing until hollandaise is smooth.
- Season with flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and keep in a warm spot until ready to serve.