Baked walnut slice
( SERVES 40 )
This is a great slice for entertaining that can be made ahead as it keeps well for up to five days. Cut into small bite-sized pieces.
|2 tsp||Golden syrup|
|2 cans||Sweetened condensed milk, 395g each|
|2 packets||Vanilla wine biscuits, 250g each|
|2 cups||Walnuts, plus 12 or more walnut halves|
- Heat the oven to 170C. Line a 30 x 20cm swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk and golden syrup.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until you have biscuit crumbs. Don’t be tempted to overprocess, slightly coarse biscuit crumbs are good here.
- Add to the butter mixture.
- Place the walnuts in the food processor and roughly chop. Add to the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour into the prepared swiss roll tin and place on the 12 walnuts halves or more if you wish.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. The slice should be golden brown on the top and slightly soft to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
- Mix the coffee icing ingredients together and spread evenly over the slice. Leave to set.
- Once the icing has set, cut the slice into small squares and place in an airtight container.
- If you are using a larger swiss roll tin, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- Use good quality walnuts, i.e. very fresh walnuts.