Baked walnut slice
( MAKES 40 pieces )
This is a great slice for entertaining that can be made ahead as it keeps well for up to five days. Cut into small bite-sized pieces.
|2 tsp||Golden syrup|
|2 cans||Sweetened condensed milk, 395g each|
|2 packets||Vanilla wine biscuits, 250g each|
|2 cups||Walnuts, plus 12 or more walnut halves to decorate|
- Heat the oven to 170C. Line a 30 x 20cm swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk and golden syrup.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until you have biscuit crumbs. Don’t be tempted to overprocess, slightly coarse biscuit crumbs are good here. Add to the butter mixture.
- Place the walnuts in the food processor and roughly chop. Add to the mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour into the prepared swiss roll tin and place on the 12 walnuts halves or more if you wish.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. The slice should be golden brown on the top and slightly soft to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
- Mix the coffee icing ingredients together and spread evenly over the slice. Leave to set. Once the icing has set, cut the slice into small squares and place in an airtight container.
- If you are using a larger swiss roll tin, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- Use good quality walnuts, i.e. very fresh walnuts.