Vietnamese rice paper rolls with mint, fish sauce and basil
Photo by Babiche Martens
Rice paper rolls are simple to make and look so attractive. Prepare the vegetables and herbs, have a couple of dishes of sauces at the ready then quickly soak the papers until just soft, lie on a kitchen surface, let dry for a moment, fill, fold over and wrap.
- Prepare a large bowl of warm water. Dip each rice pper wrapper into the water and as soon as each begins to soften, remove and lay separately on a flat surface.
- Divide the ingredients between each wrapper, placing them along the centre, leaving a 2cm space at each side.
- Fold up the bottom edge, then fold in the sides and roll firmly to enclose.
- Place on a serving platter with a bowl of the dipping sauce.
- To make the sauce, place the fish sauce, lime juice, water, sugar and chilli into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir until the sugar has dissolved then let cool. Add the herbs just before serving.