Photo by Babiche Martens
A delicate shortcake sandwiched with a little jam, whipped cream and plenty of strawberries is delish. Make sure you use butter both for flavour and to guarantee the right "short" texture.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Sift the flour, sugar and salt together.
- Cut the butter into small cubes then add to the flour mixture. With your fingertips rub butter into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the first amount of cream and mix gently with your hands until a soft dough forms. Rest for 5 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a thickness of 1cm. Cut into 6cm rounds and transfer to a lined baking sheet. Gather the offcuts and repeat.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly then split. Spread the bottom with a little strawberry jam. Stack with sliced strawberries then whipped cream and top with the shortcake. Dust liberally with icing sugar and serve immediately.