Keralan fish curry
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
|800 g||White-fleshed fish fillets, choose firm fish, cut into 4cm pieces|
|2 tsp||Chilli powder|
|2 tsp||Yellow mustard seeds|
|1 splash||Sunflower oil, for frying|
|2||Onions, finely chopped|
|3 cm||Fresh ginger, finely chopped|
|1||Green chilli, finely chopped|
|400 ml||Coconut milk|
|2||Limes, freshly juiced|
|½ cup||Fresh coriander|
- Place pieces of fish in a bowl. Combine all the spices, then rub these into the flesh of the fish. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- After 30 minutes, heat a large non-stick frying pan with a little oil and brown pieces of fish in 2-3 batches for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove to one side. Add a little more oil to the pan and cook onion, ginger and chilli for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add any remaining spice mix. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the fish and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve scattered with coriander.