Roast lamb rump with new potatoes, artichokes, baby peas and mint
( SERVES 4 )
Fried artichokes cooked with peas and mint is a classic combination that is beautiful on its own but also works particularly well with lamb.
- Heat oven to 200C. Season lamb rump with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat 30ml of the olive oil in a heavy-based ovenproof frying pan over a high heat then colour lamb on all sides before placing into the oven for 6 to 7 minutes or until medium rare.
- Remove lamb from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 2 minutes then place lamb on to a plate and rest for a further 3 to 4 minutes in a warm place.
- Return the same pan to the stovetop over a high heat and add remaining 30ml of olive oil. Add new potatoes and artichokes and fry until artichokes begin to colour.
- Add peas and half of the mint and continue to cook until the peas are well heated through.
- Place remaining mint into a mortar and pestle with garlic and a god pinch of sea salt and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add extra virgin olive oil and muddle together to combine. Divide vegetables between 4 plates.
- Carve each lamb rump into 4 to 5 slices and place on top. Drizzle with mint oil and serve immediately.