Light smoked fish pie with kumara mash
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
- Cook kumara in boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes or until very tender.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat ½ cup trim milk until warm.
- Drain and mash kumara, beating in warmed milk until mash is smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
- Heat a saucepan, add oil and cook onion for 5 minutes to soften. Stir in flour and cook for one minute.
- Gradually add remaining milk, stirring continually for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in smoked fish, capers, parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture between 6 individual ovenproof dishes.
- Top with hot kumara mash and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Place under a preheated grill for 5 minutes until golden brown.