Mussels steamed with coconut milk, ginger, lemongrass and coriander
( SERVES 4 )
Dipping your spoon into this fragrant broth is a truly satisfying experience.
- Scrub the mussels thoroughly under cold running water, then tug off the beards by pulling them down towards the tip of the mussel. Discard any dead or broken mussels.
- Chop the garlic, then put into a wok with the peanut oil over a low heat.
- Bash the root-end of the lemongrass with the back of a heavy knife and slice the ginger (peeled) thinly. Add both to the wok.
- Stirfry until fragrant - about 2-3 minutes - then add the beer and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, then add the mussels and cover tightly with a lid.
- Steam for 2-3 minutes until they open, then use a slotted spoon to transfer the mussels to a serving dish.
- Turn up the heat and let the sauce simmer. Check the seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the mussels and scatter the coriander over the top.