Braised chicken drumsticks with curried rice and cucumber coriander salad
A recipe to feed your family for under $10. From Stephen Wardhead chef, O'Connell St Bistro, Auckland City.
|1 kg||Chicken drumstick|
|2 Tbsp||Curry powder|
|3||Garlic cloves, chopped|
|300 g||Basmati rice|
|800 ml||Water, with a little powered chicken stock mixed in|
Cucumber and coriander salad
- Toss chicken in bowl with curry powder, salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-based pot with lid until hot.
- Sear chicken until sealed then remove on to plate.
- Add onion and garlic to pot and cook until soft. Add rice and stir for one minute.
- Return chicken to pot in a single layer and pour over chicken stock.
- Put on lid and place in oven for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with salad and a tablespoon of natural yoghurt if desired.
- For dressing mix lime juice, fish sauce and brown sugar then toss with cucumber and coriander.