Pavlova sponge cupcakes
These tasty cupcakes are ideal to bake with the remaning yolks from meringues or the classic Kiwi pavlova.
|120 g||Caster sugar|
|½ tsp||Baking powder|
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Beat the yolks and sugar until thick and light.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, then fold into the egg mixture with the vanilla.
- Melt the butter, then fold through with the boiling water and lemon rind. Spoon the mixture into paper baking cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden. Cool, then decorate with cream or icing. Makes 7-8 large or 16 small cupcakes.
- Can also be made in a 20cm cake tin. Store for up to three days in an airtight tin.
- To make into butterfly cakes, cut a small circle about 3cm deep from the middle of each cake.
- Cut this little piece in half to form the “butterfly wings”. Whip the cream and spoon a little into the centre of each cake.
- Decorate with berries or cubes of jelly, then position the wings in the cream.
- To make the icing, melt the butter, then beat in about 6 tablespoons of icing sugar and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Continue beating until smooth. Ice the top of each cake, then decorate with lemon zest.