Beetroot, thyme and goat’s cheese tart
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Photography and styling by Tamara West
Who needs to go out to a cafe when you can make this stunning tart at home.
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Top and tail each beetroot. Place each whole beetroot on a square of tinfoil and scrunch foil to form parcels.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through (when a skewer goes right through without resistance). Allow beetroot to cool, then rub off their skins and slice into rounds.
- Roll out pastry sheets so they become a rectangle 2.5cm wider than it is long. Use a small (roughly 14cm) diameter plate to cut out two circles from each sheet of pastry. Alternatively, for rectangular shaped tarts, simply cut each pastry sheet in half.
- Place pieces of pastry on a baking tray. Arrange slices of beetroot around the edge of the pastry, slightly overlapping, and one slice in the middle.
- Mix thyme, honey and olive oil together and brush over beetroot. Top with chunks of goats cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Just before serving, toss rocket with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, and top each tart with some rocket.