Lime sugar madeleines
( SERVES 12 )
|1 cup||Icing sugar|
|¼ cup||Blanched almonds|
|2||Eggs, 1 whole, 1 white|
|1||Lime, zest and juice|
|½ cup||Flour, sifted|
|50 g||Butter, melted|
- Combine almonds and icing sugar in a food processor and grind until very fine.
- Remove to a bowl. Add egg, egg white, lime zest and juice of 1 lime and whisk to combine.
- Stir in sifted flour and melted butter to form a batter, which will be quite runny.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours for mixture to firm.
- When ready to cook madeleines, preheat oven to 190 degC.
- Spray 12-hole madeleine shell pan with oil and place 1 tablespoonful of mixture into each (or use patty pans if you don’t have shell-shaped pans.)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until puffed in the centre, firm and golden.
- Remove to a wire rack and immediately drizzle with sugar crust mixture (sugar and zest and juice of 3 limes).
- Last 2-3 days stored in an airtight container.