Mediterranean vegetable pies
Photo by Carolyn Robertson
- Rub butter into flour by hand or in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in salt, then the cold water until dough comes together in a ball. Cover pastry with plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place eggplant, capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms and oregano in a large oven pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until golden brown and tender, tossing once during cooking. Remove to cool.
- Roll out pastry to 4mm thick and use to line 8 x 10cm pie tins. Trim edges and prick bases with a fork. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Line pastry cases with foil and fill with baking beans to blind bake for 15 minutes at 180C.
- Remove baking beans and foil and return pastry cases to the oven for a further 5 minutes until dry and crisp. At this stage pastry cases can be frozen for a later date.
- When required, fill pastry cases with roast vegetables and garnish with oregano.