Spinach and three cheese pies
These savoury pies can be served with drinks as a finger food. When working with filo, keep the remaining pastry covered with a damp cloth, as it dries out quickly and becomes brittle.
- Prepare the spinach by steaming or blanching until wilted. Drain well and press to release all excess moisture. Chop finely and place in a large bowl. Crumble the feta and add to the spinach with the ricotta, parmesan, thyme and caraway seeds.
- Melt the butter in the oil and keep this warm for easy spreading.
- Place 2 sheets of filo on a clean workbench, brush lightly with the oil mixture, and top each with a second sheet of filo. Cut these sheets into thirds lengthwise and brush lightly with the oil and butter.
- Spoon a small tablespoon of the mixture on the corner at the base of each of the 6 strips. Fold the bottom edge of the pastry up to form a triangle over this cheese. Continue to flip the triangle over and over, working up the pastry strip until it is all used, forming a triangular parcel. Place on a baking sheet, brush with more oil and butter and sprinkle with pepper. Repeat this process to make 18 parcels. (Any leftover filling can be used as a lovely addition to scrambled eggs.)
- Bake in a preheated 200C oven until crisp and golden – about 15 minutes. Serve warm.