Greenshell mussels with tomato creme sauce
Photo by TamaraWest
There is something amazingly delicious about the salty sweetness of mussels served with a creamy tomato and white wine sauce. When I am on holiday I love hunting for mussels at low tide; these live greenshell Ikana mussels are conveniently sold year round in a special no leak pack.
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid, place the olive oil, garlic and onion and gently fry for 5 minutes without colouring.
- Add the mussels, turn the heat up high, add the wine and cover with the lid.
- Stir from time to time, then remove the mussels once they begin to open. Keep covered and warm until ready to serve.
- Boil the mussel juices for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cream. Bring back to the boil and reduce a little, then add the paprika and rosemary.
- Pour the sauce into serving bowls, arrange the mussels on top, then garnish with the cherry tomatoes and pea shoots.