Fish in paper
Baking fish in paper is a wonderful way to imbue flavour and will have guests feeling like they are opening a delicious gift. Celia Hay shows us how.
- Heat the oven to 220 degC.
- Fry the onion, leeks, spring onions and button mushrooms in butter and oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add white wine and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut 2 pieces of baking paper into rectangles approx. 30cm x 25cm, large enough to enclose one fillet each.
- Place 2 Tbsp of the onion mixture in the centre of one half of the paper. Repeat for the second rectangle.
- Place fish fillets on top of the mixture. Sprinkle the fillets with the rest of the wine and onion mixture.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Brush the edges of the paper with melted butter or oil.
- Fold the paper over on itself to create a seal. Press firmly with your fingers. Repeat and seal the side tightly.
- Place the parcels on an oven tray and bake for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately on warmed plates in the parcel - you can rip it open at the table.
- Serve with steamed vegetables or a salad.