Small, Rich Genoa Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160 degC
- Line a standard loaf tin with baking paper, cutting the paper large enough to extend a little above the top of the tin.
- First, prepare the fruit. Sort through the currants and sultanas, breaking up lumps and removing any stems.
- Put into a bowl and mix in the peel, cherries and almonds.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until very pale and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, also adding some of the sifted flour and baking powder to deter curdling.
- Beat in the remaining flour and baking powder. Beat in the fruit and nuts until evenly mixed. Scoop the mixture into the tin.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for 1½ to 1½ hours or until a skewer poked into the middle comes away without any wet batter clinging to it.
- Remove from the oven, cool for a few minutes, then tip out on to a rack and leave until cold.
- Put into an airtight container and leave a day before cutting.