- Spread the frozen peas out on the plate and leave to thaw. Chop the onion finely. Chop the bacon into 1cm square pieces, if using. Use kitchen scissors if it is easier.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and bacon (optional), then gently fry until the onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally. Add the stock (chicken or vegetable) to the saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Tip the rice into the stock, add ½ teaspoon of salt, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally during the cooking.
- While the rice is cooking, grate the parmesan and chop the parsley. When the rice is cooked but still firm to bite, stir in the peas, then cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the parmesan, parsley and some black pepper. Replace the lid and let the rice rest for about 4 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if you like.
- Serve in soup bowls.