Gazpacho with prawns, cucumber and black olives
( SERVES 6 )
Originally a humble peasant dish made with stale bread, it is now considered one of the more elegant soups in which all the ingredients must shine in harmony with one another. Do not make this soup with tinned tomatoes, as it is simply not the same.
- Briefly soak the Stale white bread in a bowl of water, then remove it and carefully squeeze out any excess water.
- Place the bread in a large bowl, then mix in the tomato (seeded and chopped), garlic (peeled), cucumber (peeled and chopped), capsicum(seeded) and mint.
- Add the olive oil and vinegar. Pour the ingredients into a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Strain the soup through a sieve, season with salt and pepper, then stir in the ice cubes.
- The consistency should be that of a thinnish purée. Pour the gazpacho into bowls or glasses and garnish with prawns, cucumber (seeded and finely chopped) and olives (finely chopped).