Pressed Chocolate Cake
( SERVES 6 )
I have to thank Patricia Wells for this recipe; still fabulous after nearly 20 years, it remains one of my all-time favourite desserts. You could easily replace the flour with ground almonds or something gluten-free.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC. Prepare a 27cm springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place them in a bowl. Put the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and slowly melt the chocolate.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft, billowing peaks. In another bowl whisk the yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Mix in the flour. Fold the yolk mixture into the chocolate and stir in a third of the egg whites. Gently fold in the remaining whites in small batches, working slowly.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then cover the pan with a lid or plate. Bake for a further 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Never refrigerate this cake.
- It should always be served at room temperature, accompanied by whipped cream (never yoghurt) and berries.