( SERVES 24 )
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
Butter Cream Icing
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC and put paper cases into 24 patty tins. Soften the butter. Bring the eggs to room temperature.
- Cream the butter until smooth, add the sugar gradually and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for at least a minute after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Spoon into the paper cases and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a rack.
- Make the icing by combining half of the sifted icing sugar with the softened butter, milk and vanilla and beating until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar gradually, mixing until the icing is a good spreading consistency. Tint with food colourings and slather it on the cakes, then embellish your creations as the fancy takes you.
Alternative flavourings:Add 2 tbsp coconut and a little lemon juice at the end.
Replace 2 tbsp of the flour with cocoa.
Add 2 tsp of finely grated orange zest and replace 2 tbsp of the milk with orange juice.