Easy raspberry and almond brulee
This may not be the sort of dessert to leave on the neighbours' doorstep, but it's definitely one to keep in mind for a special occasion. We have been serving this raspberry dessert at the restaurant for years, with great success. This has to be the easiest and most foolproof crème brûlée ever. It's a bit of a cheat's recipe, but who cares - the results are guaranteed.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour until pale and fluffy.
- Pour the hot milk into the bowl and mix well.
- Rinse the saucepan, pour the mixture back into it and place the saucepan back over a medium heat.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes velvety smooth. It will require rather vigorous beating, because the mixture becomes quite thick.
- Pour through a sieve into a clean bowl, leave to cool and dot the surface with the butter.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming, then set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, then gently fold into the custard. Half fill 6 individual ovenproof ramekin dishes with the custard, cover with a layer of raspberries,.
- Scatter the almonds over the top and cover with more custard, smoothing the top with a knife.
- Preheat a grill until very hot. Dredge the dishes thickly with icing sugar, then place under the grill until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.