Pumpkin and Potato Gratin
( SERVES 6 )
MAKE THIS DISH A few days ahead, then reheat it in the oven for a perfect supper. Alternatively, it can be served for dinner with some hearty meat that has been cooked on the bone until meltingly tender.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. Bring the milk and cream to the boil in a small saucepan, then set aside to cool.
- Cut the pumpkin(peeled) and potatoes(peeled) into 3mm slices, then place in separate bowls and season with salt and pepper.
- Put a third of the grated cheese and a crushed garlic clove into each bowl.
- Whisk the cooled milk and cream with the eggs(beaten), and divide equally between the potatoes and the pumpkin.
- Grease a roasting pan with half the butter and line it with some potato slices, pushing them down.
- Cover with a layer of pumpkin, then a layer of potatoes. Continue the layering until all the slices are used up.
- Pour any remaining milk and cream over the top, sprinkle on the remaining cheese, and dot with a tablespoon of butter.
- Place the roasting dish in the oven and bake for about an hour or until golden brown.