Greek fish fillets steeped in fresh tomato sauce
( SERVES 6 )
Serve the fish with a cucumber salad, a bowl of olives and fresh crusty bread to mop up the juices, or boil some new potatoes and serve them hot with the cold fish and a leafy salad.
- Carefully remove the bones from the fish and cut each fillet into 2 or 3 pieces, depending on size.
- Arrange in a single layer in a shallow glass or earthenware baking dish. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Put the olive oil and onion in a medium-sized saucepan and fry gently until the onion is transparent.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Check the seasonings and while the sauce is still boiling pour it over the fish.
- Put in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes until the fish is barely cooked. When it is done, clear or whitish cooking juices will begin to escape from the fish.
- The fish will continue to cook when removed from the oven, so be careful not to overcook it. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Trickle the vinegar over the top, followed by the olive oil. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.