Lemon polenta cake with poached rhubarb
This cake, ideal for a dignified afternoon tea, demonstrates polenta's versatility as an ingredient.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter and line a 23cm springform tin with baking paper.
- Cream the sugar and butter until pale, light and fluffy, then add the cream and cream cheese.
- Mix well, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the mixture, then carefully fold it through, keeping the texture light and airy.
- Add the zest and juice of the lemon and the polenta.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until the centre is cooked and the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Place the cake on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve with poached rhubarb and crème frâiche or sour cream. Drizzle a little rhubarb syrup over the cake.