Chinese style steamed oysters with rock sugar dressing
( SERVES 4 )
Rock sugar, also known as yellow sugar, and is available from most Asian supermarkets.
Rock Sugar Dressing
- Slide a teaspoon between the oyster and the shell, slicing through the ligament that attaches the halves. Flip the oysters over so the more attractive round side is uppermost.
- Moisten each oyster with a small amount of sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds, then place them in a covered steaming basket. Place the basket carefully over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Arrange the oysters on a large serving platter and spoon over the rock-sugar dressing.
- Gently toss the chopped coriander and spring onion together in a small bowl, then sprinkle it over the oysters and serve immediately.
- Rock Sugar Dressing: crush the rock sugar. In a small saucepan heat the crushed sugar and vinegar over a low heat until it dissolves. Cool, then add the other ingredients (vegetables sliced and ginger grated) and mix well. The dressing keeps for 3 months refrigerated.