Oyster tempura with lime and chilli dipping sauce
Being such a light batter, tempura is perfect for oysters. Use fresh vegetable oil in this recipe, otherwise your beautiful oysters will taste old and tired.
Lime and chilli dipping sauce
- Use a teaspoon to remove the oysters from their shells, then place them in a small bowl. Put the shells on a serving platter. Heat the oil to 180C in a wok or a deep saucepan.
- Gently coat the oysters in rice flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the oysters into the batter and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Remove the oysters from the oil using a slotted spoon, then drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt.
- Put the oysters into the shells and serve immediately with lime and chilli dipping sauce.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, then gently whisk in the water and egg. The mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter - don't worry about small lumps. Keep the batter cold until ready to use.
Lime and Chilli dipping sauce
- Put the water in a saucepan, then grate the palm sugar and add. Bring to a simmer over a moderate heat. Cook for 10 minutes until the syrup turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Chop the chillies finely and add to the cooled syrup with the lime zest and juice.