( SERVES 8 )
This cake is best served still warm, when the juicy blueberries, airy cake and crunchy topping all come together in an irresistible combination, but it is still good to eat two days later
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly butter the inside of a 25cm deep, round cake tin, preferably loose-bottomed.
- First, prepare the topping. Put all ingredients in a small bowl and rub with your fingers to make a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Cream the softened butter and sugar and beat in the egg and zest of half a lemon. Sift the dry ingredients together and beat into the mixture alternately with the milk. Spread the mixture into the cake tin.
- Scatter the blueberries over the top, followed by the topping mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until a carving fork poked in the middle comes away clean (except for blueberry juice!). Remove from the oven and leave to settle for 15 minutes before transferring to a rack or plate. Serve warm or cold.